Sunday, October 11, 2009

Adding dimension to paper

I recently thought to try something in PS and I really liked the results.  I added dimension to the paper I was designing by adding a distorted Gradient Fill layer. 

I haven’t really provided any tutorials here before but I figured there was no time like the present to start sharing.

Take your paper from this:
From-This

To this:
Or-This

Or this:
To-That

Start with a blank canvas and fill it with the color of your choice.
Step2

Open the overlay you want to use and add put it over your colored layer.

Go to the blending options of your overlay layer.
Step3

Change the blending mode of the overlay to your liking.  For this example, I simply changed the Blend Mode to Overlay.
Step4

Add additional overlay layers and adjust to your liking.

Add a Gradient Fill layer.
Step5 

This is the window that will appear for the Gradient Fill.
Step6 

Pick the style of gradient you want to use.  For this example, I selected Silver.
Step7

Change the Style to Reflected.
Step8

Change the Angle to your liking.  For this example, I changed it to 110 degrees.
Step9

At this point, you might want to remove any white from your gradient or make some color adjustments.  To adjust this just click on the gradient bar.Step10

The Gradient Editor will open.  Just click on the color stops and change the colors.  You can also add some additional stops and colors in here too.
Step11

Once you have the Gradient Fill layer to your liking, Rasterize the layer.
Step12

From the menu bar, select Distort and then Wave.
Step13

The Wave window will open.  From here you will adjust the settings to get the wave effect that your want. 

This is the settings I have for this example:
Number of Generators: 10
Wavelength: Min. 575 Max. 999
Amplitude: Min. 70 Max. 500
Scale: Horiz. 74% Vert. 8%
Step14

Select Blending Options for the gradient fill layer.
Step15

Change the blend mode.  Step16

For this example I have chosen Linear Light and changed the opacity to 15% and I also adjusted the fill opacity to 75%.
Step17

This is what my example looks like with these settings:
Step18

This can look very different depending on what blending options you choose.  I decided to change the settings for this example.  The new settings are Blending Mode Overlay at 75% Opacity with the Fill Opacity staying at 75%.
Step19

That change dramatically changed the final result.
Step20

You can add as many overlay layers before or after you have added the gradient layer.  You could even start with a completed paper from any of your kits and get the same kind of results.  The key is to just play with the settings until you get the desired effect.

When using the paper for a layout you can add to the effect by also distorting your shadow layer.

I am, by far, no expert and there are probably other ways to achieve this effect but I really hope you enjoyed this tutorial.

7 comments:

Ramona said...

Awesome Tutorial! Thanks so much! I have bookmarked this one!

Miss Daz said...

Wow. I am new with this thing.. I will try playing with that :)

Judy said...

Thanks bunches! I'm looking forward to playing with this!

Carrie said...

Awesome tutorial! TYSM!

Wendy said...

Great tips, thanks so much for sharing!!

march_76 said...

Love it~ cant wait to try it. Thank you!

++MIRA++ said...

kool suggestion.never tried that before